Via Mobility Services (Via) is seeking a dynamic executive with a successful track record to lead this highly respected, valued transportation nonprofit agency by maintaining the absolute integrity of the organization’s finances, reputation, programs, good standing, and brand.
Founded in 1979, Via is a private non-profit, 501(c)3 agency located in Boulder, Colorado, specializing in paratransit services and mobility options programs for persons with disabilities and older adults. Via operates in more than 20 communities across five counties, with approximately 85% of its service provided in Boulder County.
Via is a full-spectrum mobility manager offering transportation, individual and group travel training, mobility options information and referral and a wide range of community resources. Our services provide a lifeline and, for many, a bridge to the community.
Via operates on a social enterprise business model and serves the region by providing transportation programs including the HOP, Access-a-Ride and Call-N-Ride under contract to local municipalities and the Regional Transportation District (RTD).
Via’s operating budget for 2016 exceeds $17M which is primarily generated from federal grants, local government funding, philanthropic support and earned income contracts.
The CEO, reporting to the Board of Directors, advances the strategic goals of Via mission and supervises the leadership team. As the external face of the organization, the CEO cultivates and maintains strong partnerships with local and regional and state organizations and Via’s constituents.APPLY
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Vision and Leadership
- Inspires others (staff, board members, volunteers, the public).
- Actively motivates staff and builds morale by connecting Via’s programs and aligning them with the organization’s mission; ensures the development and management of a professional and efficient organization.
- Oversees the development of marketing strategies that ensures the success of Via.
- Leads and collaborates with the Board President and the Board’s Executive Team to refine and implement the strategic plan; serves as primary liaison to the Board, providing timely information and recommending options and courses of action.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining Via’s strategic plan, ensuring Via’s programs and initiatives are implemented and adapted to changing external contexts.
- In partnership with the Board President, helps build and maintain a diverse board that is highly engaged, willing to leverage and secure resources and to advocate on the organization’s behalf.
- Acts as an exemplary public spokesperson on behalf of Via; represents Via in state and local forums, and promotes a positive image of the organization by ensuring that the public understands Via’s mission.
- Maintains a harmonious working relationship with the leaders of other public transportation groups and other relevant organizations, active and engaged in appropriate local, regional, statewide and national paratransit and human service associations.
Revenue Generation and Fund Development
- Works with the Director of Development, supported by its development committee and Board; builds enthusiasm for Via’s programs and impact among philanthropic partners; works with individual board members on fundraising matters.
- Identifies, cultivates and stewards major donors (including corporations, foundations, and individuals).
- Leads, inspire and work with the Board of Directors and Development Team to improve the effectiveness of fundraising strategies and broaden the base of support.
- Responsible for cultivating positive external relationships with Via’s earned income contract partners including RTD, the city of Boulder and other municipalities.
- Responsible for cultivating positive external relationships with county Commissioners, key elected officials and key staff in the various cities in Boulder County and nearby communities that provide financial support to the organization.
- Responsible for cultivating positive working relationships with the Colorado Dept. of Transportation and supervises the contract management of federal grants.
Financial Management, Operations, and Infrastructure
- Assumes full responsibility for meeting Via’s financial and operational objectives.
- Plans for and protects the physical and financial resources of the organization by setting a sound budget, overseeing the audit process, and by conducting periodic reviews of program and department budgets.
- Maintains the stability and reputation of the organization by complying with legal and regulatory requirements; assures the smooth operation of Via by approving and enforcing program, operational and personnel policies and procedures.
- Initiates the development of new partnerships needed to implement key strategies.
- Provides leadership in planning and implementing best practices in paratransit services and mobility options.
- Identifies programmatic opportunities by cultivating key relationships; keeps staff informed of changes in the funding climate that may impact work.
- Provides leadership into the design of new programs and to the ongoing evaluation of program effectiveness.
- The CEO provides general supervision to all staff members and directly supervises the Directors of each functional area and an executive assistant.
- Leads, inspires and works with the Board of Directors; all Via staff members; leaders of local and state organizations and government; current and prospective donors (institutional and individual); community and advocacy groups and the public.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree in Public Administration, Public Policy or similar field strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of leadership experience, with nonprofit leadership experience preferred.
- Experience in understanding the mobility needs and options of people with disabilities and older adults strongly preferred.
- Experience in human service transportation strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in board development, fundraising, government relations, marketing and fiscal management.
- Demonstrated experience in data-driven decision making and analyzing data.
- Demonstrated experience providing management-level staff with direct coaching, guidance, and professional development opportunities.
- Demonstrated fluency in transportation issues including paratransit services, mobility management, and contract fixed-route transit preferred.
- Experience maintaining a flexible work schedule to meet the demands of executive management. Hours may be long and irregular.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Superior presentation and communications skills; ability to be an outgoing spokesperson, relationship builder, and fundraiser.
- Excellent coalition building skills, negotiation skills and ability to navigate a complex multi-faceted environment.
- A financially savvy and politically astute leader with the ability to set clear priorities, delegate, and guide investment in people and systems; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills, which support and enable sound decision making.
- Superb interpersonal skills and capacity to work well with people at all levels within the organization and with key external agencies and organizations.
- Strong listening skills and ability to function as a thought-partner.
- Ability to collaborate successfully with diverse groups of people.
- Demonstrated ability to set and manage priorities in a fast-paced setting.
- Demonstrated ability to lead by example and create a positive work environment; commitment to a culture of transparency, high expectations and continuous improvement.
- Strong team orientation and commitment to recruiting and retaining a diverse team.
- Experience working with a Board of Directors and Human Services agencies.
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office programs and other computer skills.
Health, Dental, Company-paid Life and Disability Insurance, Short and Long-term Disability Insurance, Employee Assistance Program, Retirement Plan with 3% company match, paid-time off, AFLAC Accident and Critical Illness plans, and free Bus Pass.