New Via program is On the Move!
The Travel Ambassador Program, the brainchild of Susan Unger, Via’s Travel Training Manager, is officially underway. Via provides transportation services and resources to enable people to live a more independent and self-sufficient life. This new program complements Via’s existing programs.
The main goal of the Transit Ambassador Program is to build capacity and resources within communities to support residents’ willingness to consider public transportation as an option for community travel. Program activities are designed to increase the residents’ knowledge of and confidence in public transit, which will translate into a more active and independent life for the residents of these communities.
The program will provide training and support to twelve communities in the Denver-metro region, including two properties managed by Englewood Housing Authority.
The five main components of the Transit Ambassador Program are;
- Establish Volunteer Transit Ambassadors at each community who will work closely with the Program Coordinator to plan all program activities.
- Set up public transit information centers in participating communities.
- Schedule a minimum of two group outings annually on public transit for interested residents.
- Provide public transit orientation presentation, “On the Move, ” annually at each location.
- Set up a Bus Buddies Program at each property for those interested in traveling with another person on public transit.
“We have had enthusiastic responses from the communities we have met with so far and are looking forward to some group outings [soon],” shared Sylvia Panzer, Program Coordinator. Sylvia has been meeting with Denver Housing Authority Partners, attending Resident Council Meetings, and has conducted “On the Move” trainings.
The Travel Ambassador Program is currently partnering with the Denver Housing Authority (DHA), but we’re looking to partner with other housing authorities throughout the metro area.
If you’re interested in learning more about the program, please contact Susan Unger at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 303.447.2848 x 1048.